9.7.13

Independence Day: Small town, Big Country

I love this country. I love the men and women who serve and fight to keep it free. I love the land "from sea to shining sea." I've traveled and seen a lot of it. But this Fourth of July we decided to stick to our small town of Del Rio. It ended up being a real favorite.

Ironically the day started with us going across the border and picking up some Mexican burgers for our friend, Gina and Justin at Chilakas. Justin can't cross the border because he's part of the Air Force so it was pretty special.


That night we went to the community celebration at San Felipe Creek. It's a really pretty area. While there, a girl randomly walked up to us and gave us 2 free tickets to the Independence Day Rodeo ($40 value). So great because we didn't have any Friday plans!


Watching the fireworks

So maybe the rodeo wasn't San Antonio Rodeo quality but we had AWESOME SEATS. Also, they had Mexican horse dancers with gorgeous costumes. And our friends Gina and Justin were there!

Rodeo Belt (I actually wore it when I was 16
  in my Dance Studio's ballet adaptation of Peter
Pan. Can you guess what character I was?)



Saturday we went kayaking with, you guessed it, Gina and Justin. They get all these awesome discounts because of being in the Air Force that we've been stealing from them.




FYI, I put my phone in a plastic Ziploc so I could take it on
 the water...Maybe not the smartest move but I REALLY
 wanted some action shots! Someday we'll get fancy cameras
and things...
freaking awesome kayaks that have foot peddles.
Trent and Justin wearing their jackets as diapers and thinking
 it would actually hold them above water more than if they just
 had them around their arms...


No comments:

Post a Comment